School starts at 7:30 a.m. and ends at 2:11 p.m. Students are considered late at 7:30 a.m. and must sign in at the front desk.
Students should not be dropped off prior to 7:15 a.m. as student supervision is unavailable prior to that time.
Any student leaving school before the 2:11 p.m. dismissal time must be signed out in the office by the custodial parent or guardian.
A parent may request that another person sign the student out of school but this request must be in writing and is subject to approval by the Principal.
Students remaining at school past the 2:11 p.m. dismissal time must be with a teacher. Students should not be in school after 3:20 p.m. unless supervised by an adult. Again, no supervision is available past this time.
If Your Child Is Going to Be Absent or Late
Students arriving at 7:30 a.m. or later must sign in at the main office.
If a child will be out or late, please call the Attendance office at 518-279-4600 ext 2406. Please note: the nurses office no longer receives these types of calls. Your child must provide a note on their next time into school for their absence or tardy.
If calling the main line for the school, the prompts have changed. Please note option 5 is for the nurse and option 6 is for attendance.
Elementary procedures are as follows: Whenever a student is absent, parents are requested to call the Health Office (279-4600, ext. 2012) prior to 9 a.m. After that time, a call will be made to the home of any child who is absent and has not yet called in. New York State Law mandates that a note signed by the parent or guardian be sent to the school explaining the nature of each absence IN ADDITION to calling the Health Office on the date of the absence.
Early Dismissals/Leaving School Building Early
The only approved reasons to leave the school building before the end of the school day are:
- A doctor’s appointment
- A note from their parent/guardian must be given to Mrs. Perfetti at the main entrance prior to the start of first period. The note must include a phone number where the parent/guardian can be reached prior to dismissal.
- A college visit
- Must be pre-approved by Assistant Principal Jim Donnelly or Assistant Principal Chris Rockwell in advance of the visit.
- An illness that occurs during the school day that is documented through the Health Office
- A student’s required attendance in court
Additionally, all students must sign out of the building with Mrs. Perfetti. Any other absence will be considered truancy. Students with parking permits may also forfeit their parking spots if they leave school grounds without proper approval.
Student Dress Code
All students are expected to dress appropriately for school and school functions. A student’s dress, grooming and appearance including hair style/color, jewelry, make-up and nails, shall:
- Be safe, appropriate and not disrupt or interfere with the educational process.
- Recognize that extremely brief, inappropriate, revealing, or distracting garments such as tube tops, net tops, plunging necklines (front and/or back), and see-through garments are not appropriate.
- Ensure that underwear is completely covered with outer clothing.
- Include footwear at all times. Footwear that is a safety hazard will not be allowed.
- Not include the wearing of hats in the classroom except for a medical or religious purpose.
- Not include items that are vulgar, obscene, libelous or which denigrate others on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
- Not promote and/or endorse the use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs, and/or encourage other illegal or violent activities.
Requests for Homework
Requests for homework assignments should be made by parents for those students who anticipate being legally absent from school two or more days. Assignments can be picked up the day following the request at 2:15 p.m. in the Counseling Center. Students who will be absent for one day are advised to contact a classmate for their assignments.
Working paper forms may be picked up or returned to the Nurse’s Office from 7:00-7:30 a.m. and from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Students must appear in person and sign card in presence of issuing official.
About Tamarac Secondary School
The mission of the Brunswick Central School District is to provide an education that fosters excellence, creativity, responsibility, citizenship, and lifelong learning. The Brunswick Central School District employs a unique administrative structure in the secondary school. We have a Principal for grades 6-12, an Assistant Principal for grades 6-12, and Team Leaders for grades 6-8.