The Board of Education began interviewing finalists for a new school superintendent
the week of March 11 with a successor to retiring Superintendent Lou McIntosh expected to be named in April.
The district received interest from 38 applicants for its superintendent search, which began last year. A committee made up of 17 parents, students, faculty and staff interviewed 10 of the applicants in February. The committee reported its findings to the Board which
started interviewing final candidates the week of March 11.
“The Board would like to thank our committee for all the time and work they put in interviewing candidates,” said Board President Matt Wade. “We have some excellent final candidates to consider who share our vision for educational innovation and excellence.”
Mr. McIntosh announced at the beginning of the school year that he would retire after five years with the district at the end of June. A new school superintendent is expected to start on July 1.
The Board of Education worked together to create a vision for the next superintendent, which includes:
- A vision for educational innovation and excellence, and a plan for how to achieve it. This includes expanding STEM learning opportunities and implementing creative educational approaches using data-driven decision making.
- The ability to lead a district and community that is seeking to build on its significant strengths to improve student achievement and career readiness for the 21st century.
- Experience in the implementation of college- and career-ready standards and curriculum to prepare students for the challenges and opportunities of the global economy and New York’s Tech Valley.
- Proven collaborative leadership experience characterized by teamwork, strong communication skills, collegiality, honesty and integrity.
- A commitment to developing and expanding partnerships between the district and various community and business assets to strengthen the success of our schools and students.
- The ability to clearly articulate and effectively implement a vision for excellence by engaging all stakeholders.