Dear Parents/Guardian: This is an update from Tamarac Elementary School for the week of September 16-20th.
On Thursday 9/19 we held the Tamarac Elementary School Meet the Teachers/Principal Night. The turnout was very impressive, so much so that many people could not hear my introduction, which was held in the cafeteria. I spoke about the following things to the parents in attendance:
1) The school year is off to a great start – thank you for your support of our schools and the educational programming we provide.
2) New staff – Mrs. Megan Kanellis (Kindergarten), Ms. Liz Farley (2nd grade), Ms. Alex Casey (4th grade Special Education), Ms. Paige McMinn (Language Concepts) and Ms. Michelle Agostononi (PT/OT). Mrs. Sue Delano is now teaching 5th grade and Mrs. Cate Cullen-Doin is now our MTSS (Multi-Tier Support System) coordinator for the elementary school.
3) School business – notes about transportation or pick-up changes – notes still need to be written and sent in the morning – phone calls or emails are only accepted in the case of an emergency. A paper trail also results in fewer mix-ups. Please remember that we need a note following an absence, even if you call us regarding the absence. Again, a paper trail helps prevent mix-ups.
4) Morning drop off – we have shared with families that we are asking that parents drop off students in the main lobby and not accompany students to their classroom beginning Monday 9/23.
This is just one more step to insure student safety and security within the building once the school is open.
5) Safety drills – are well underway. Four very successful fire drills as of today. Our first lockdown drill will be on Tuesday 9/24 before lunchtime. All lockdown drills will be announced as drills when called; this is the only drill that will be announced, day and time, in advance. We will have at least 3 more lockdown drills this school year. Teachers have reviewed lockdown procedures with their classes.
6) Character Education programming – Chris Siegenthaler and Maureen King introduced our building’s theme – RESPECT – for this school year. Please ask your child what it means to them.
Calendar updates – the following updates have been added to the District Calendar for this school year.
Thursday, November 21 will be a 1/2 day for students – 11:40 dismissal with parent/teacher conferences from 12 noon to 3:30PM. (not presently on the district calendar)
Monday, November 25 will be our evening parent/teacher conferences, with conferences from 3:45pm until 7pm. (not presently on the district calendar)
Also, the April 22, 2020 parent/teacher conferences will be moving to Wednesday, April 29th with an 11:40 dismissal and parent/teacher conferences from 12 noon to 3:30 PM. April 22nd is a date for the NYS 3-8 Math tests.
2019 NYS 3-8 Testing results – 4th and 5th graders will be receiving hard copies of their NYS Math and ELA tests, which were taken last Spring. 5th graders will also be receiving the results of their Elementary Science assessment. All results will be accompanied by a letter explaining the assessments. The assessments will be sent home next week.
Have a great weekend!