AAP recommends all students older than 2 years and all school staff should wear face masks at school (unless medical or developmental conditions prohibit use).
The AAP recommends universal masking in school at this time for the following reasons:
- A significant portion of the student population is not eligible for vaccination
- Protection of unvaccinated students from COVID-19 and to reduce transmission
- Lack of a system to monitor vaccine status among students, teachers and staff
- Potential difficulty in monitoring or enforcing mask policies for those who are not vaccinated; in the absence of schools being able to conduct this monitoring, universal masking is the best and most effective strategy to create consistent messages, expectations, enforcement, and compliance without the added burden of needing to monitor vaccination status
- Possibility of low vaccination uptake within the surrounding school community
- Continued concerns for variants that are more easily spread among children, adolescents, and adults
Brunswick CSD continues to work with the local public health officials to keep our community safe.